Sunday, October 21, 2007

The name game

Everyone has a strong opinion on what to name my new friend, of course. My mom wants me to name him Benjamin Franklin because I live in Philly and go to the school he founded. Dad says it seems wrong to start a cat's name with a vowel and feels it should have a good "k" sound in it, like Henrik. Shannon suggested Kimchi, and Maisha didn't want him to end up with a legalese name. I hadn't even thought of that, but there are a few that could be funny. Lex loci delecti? Habeas corpus? Res ipsa loquitur? Jurisprudence? Mens rea?

I don't think I could do that to a cat. Mom and dad both like Roger but I was saving that for a daughter, or at least a little girl puppy. I like Jarle, but mom says that sounds too feminine. I also like Eilert after Eilert Løvborg, the love interest in Hedda Gabler and Peer Gynt. I think I am most partial to Sigbjørn, after Sigbjørn Obstfelder, my favorite author. Mom reminds me that the cat is NOT Norwegian; I don't think I should hold that against him. I guess I could try living with him for a few days and see what seems to fit best.

I am terribly impatient to get him home. It makes me so sad to think of him all alone in his cage at the shelter. Also, there were several cats there that were sneezing, so I want to get him out of there before he catches an upper-respiratory infection. His little kitty bed looks very lonely without him.

No comments: