Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Socratic Method

Well, I finally had my first taste of the Socratic method. I think it went OK, I didn't faint or vomit and I was able to come up with passable answers (I think). I have to say I was impressed by my Criminal Law professor's pronunciation of my last name, I think he may have practiced.

So far I am still enjoying law school, the readings are pretty interesting (though some admittedly make me cross-eyed at times), the class discussions are thought-provoking. Now I remember why I've always said I am better at school than real life. There are also so many great opportunities to get involved with pro-bono projects, clinics, and other fun groups. I have to be careful not to sign up for too much, but it will be really nice to see my education put to good use so immediately.

I went to an academic support series lecture on preparing for class and the professor talked about lawyers as storytellers who translate the story from human language to legal language. Storytelling and translation? I guess I made the right choice of career! That is it for tonight, the pile of dishes in the sink is about to reach critical mass...

No comments: