Saturday, April 5, 2008

I aim to please!





I know my dad was being facetious when he said "more broccoli pictures, please," but I couldn't just ignore a request like that. He should know better!

Life has been pretty busy over the last week and a half! Admitted Students Weekend was last weekend, and it was a great success. I met lots of great admitted students and the ladies who stayed with me were AWESOME. It was nice to see all the hard work pay off. We had lots of events, panels, food, a trolley tour, and great fun. One last admitted student event is coming up on the 12th. I am really glad I was able to be a part of the Post Acceptance Committee, it was a great experience.

Last week was quite busy. In addition to meetings, information sessions, and make up classes the two main projects were the rewrite of my appellate brief in collaboration with another student and finishing up the Gulu University pro bono project. I turned in my syllabus and all the reading materials I collected on Friday. It is really nice if a bit scary to think that someone might be using this syllabus. I hope all the reading materials are ok and that I haven't assigned too much work. I figured it was better to send too much and let the professor cut anything he or she didn't want to teach.

Friday was the most NUTS day of all. The brief was due at 10:30, then we had to Contracts class. Right after Contracts I got to go to a panel on international careers at law firms. It is a bit intimidating to start firm research when there are SO many firms and I have SO little base knowledge about them. Then I transfered my Gulu files to Alison's computer and went to a Post Acceptance Committee meeting where we debriefed on ASW and planned our tasks for the preview day. Most exciting was participating in the school's mock interview program. I got to meet with recruiters from two great firms and practice my interviewing skills. We also got a chance to load up on swag from law firms (everything from a canvas shopping bag, to a wireless mouse, to jelly beans) and gather information for formulating our plan for on-campus interviews in the fall.

After I got home I went to Ethiopian food with a new friend; I love taking people who have never had Ethiopian food to Almaz Cafe. I called my parents only to find out that things are not going so well for my dog, Holly, at home in Montana. They think she may have had a stroke; she wouldn't eat her favorite treats and was lying flat out on the floor. I hate not being there even if there is nothing I can do. (Mom called this morning to tell me that she does seem to be doing better today.)

As I was getting ready for bed I started hearing beeping. At first I thought it was the TV, but then I started hearing doors slam in the hallway. I opened the door and the hallway was filled with smoke and there was a fire extinguisher on the floor. I grabbed Gordon, put his harness on, and headed down to the street. Gordon was agitated, so I put him down and he crawled under the security gate in front of the pet store next door. When the firemen gave us the OK to go back in I had to drag him out from under there and he was not very happy with me. The doorman explained that the guy in the apartment adjacent to mine had put a pot on the stove and passed out on his couch. When the doorman got there the pot was smoking like crazy so he put it in the sink and tried to get everyone out. It seems my neighbor was pretty out of it. When I came back upstairs the police were talking to him and he was insisting that he had not been cooking anything. All in all it was a crazy ending to a crazy day.

Saturday was time for some much-needed rest. I have not accomplished much today. Dad did help me with my taxes, so I can cross that off the list. I also got some excellent cuddle time in with Gordon--I've gotta take that when I can get it :) Tomorrow I will attempt to get some reading done...

No comments: