Saturday, November 28, 2009

Second to last semester flying by!

Wow. I am almost through my second-to-last semester here at Penn Law! My how time flies!

Ronald's initial visa petition was approved on August 12, and he has now submitted his checklist stating that he has all the paperwork he needs to proceed. Hopefully he will be scheduled for an interview soon. I can't wait to get him here!

I've been pretty busy this semester, I have two clients in the clinic (and two wonderful clinic partners to work with). I've also been planning a Symposium for the Journal of International Law with my Symposium Co-Editor, Joanna. This year's Symposium is Afro-descendants and Indigenous Peoples in Latin America and the Caribbean: Legal Rights and Realities. I am very excited about the program.

I planned (and performed in) a Penn Law talent show earlier this semester. We had six acts, and it was a fun night. I belly danced, and we had several musical acts (including Azerbaijani music) and an amazing baton routine. I am took a course through the School of Social Policy and Practice Non-Profit Leadership Program for my Leadership in Social Change Fellowship, it was amazing! I met lots of great people, including Kushinga, a lawyer from Zimbabwe. She is going to help me learn Shona. It was very different from law courses, but I learned a lot and am ready to jump into my practicum next semester. All I need to do now is find an organization to partner with...

The job search is slow and a little painful, but I remain hopeful that I will be gainfully employed by the time I graduate. There haven't been a lot of job postings for third year students, but hopefully things will pick up after the new year. Keep your fingers crossed for an economic rebound!

Gordon is doing very well. I have been guilt feeding him, and he is gaining back his "indoor cat" weight. The vet does not approve. He is sleeping on my arms as I type this.

Well, I'd better get to work, lots to be done before the end of the semester!

No comments: