Saturday, July 5, 2008

Other goings on about town

Despite the recurring theme of my past blog posts, I do not spend every day on a game drive (though I would be OK with that). Most days I stay home and read, do laundry, go grocery shopping, and spend time on the internet. Some days are far more eventful than others, last weekend was a good example.

Last Saturday was the Orange (one of the cell providers in Botswana) charity cup. It is a soccer tournament that lasts all day. The games started at 8 am, but we didn’t get there until about 10. We saw the end of the first match and the traditional dancing between the games. Then we watched the Mochudi Center Chiefs win their game and advance to the final. (The Center Chiefs are our friend Molls’ home town team, so we rooted for them by proxy). We went home and had some lunch and went back for the final.

I have to admit, I didn’t see much of the final. Batswana men tend to over imbibe at soccer games and then there is no telling what will happen… Someone walked by and randomly groped me, others gave hugs or high fives. One very persistent young man sat down in front of me and declared that he wanted to start a family with me. I told him I am very busy for the next few years. He also said he hated cats. I told him there was no way we could make a family work if that was the case. He also asked me if I was part of a drama group because I am always acting. When we finally got away from him, there was a guy who wanted to give Teresa and me massages, which we politely declined. One man told our friend Nelly that she looked like the guy who plays on Fat Albert. Then his friend asked if she and I were sisters. These guys are smooth with the ladies! I have to admit, it makes for some funny stories, though.

Sunday we attended a funeral for Judge Dow’s niece Kgalalelo. The service began at sunrise (about 6:30). Several family members spoke about their memories and the clergyman spoke. There was a lot of singing which was quite beautiful. Most of the service was in Tsetswana, so I don’t know exactly what was said. They read the condolences from family and friends and then we proceeded to the cemetery. The family members each took turns shoveling dirt into the grave while the rest sang hymns. Then wreaths and flowers were placed on the grave and a little wrought iron structure with shade netting over the top and Klalalelo’s name, date of birth, date of death, and date of burial were placed over the grave. We then went back to the grandmother’s house where the service had taken place and ate traditional food. It was a very sad day.

I went to work on Wednesday and got to see some of the Court of Appeals proceedings. It was quite interesting. Of the 8 Justices, only one is Motswana. The rest are from South Africa, Lesotho, or the Caribbean. The youngest Justice is 63. The Court used to meet only twice a year but is now moving to four meetings a year and Justices are not appointed, they apply. I got to watch an appeal against a sentence for murder with extenuating circumstances and an appeal against a sentence for manslaughter. The Court of Appeals reserves all judgment for the end of the session, so I don’t know what the decision will be.

Yesterday was my roommate Michelle’s birthday, and we all went out to dinner to celebrate. This weekend we are leaving to go to Victoria Falls, and then I am heading to the Chobe Game Reserve and the Okavango Delta. Thursday I got my Yellow Fever vaccination so I am all set for Kenya. I can’t believe how time flies! I will be back in Philadelphia in less than a month, and I still feel like I just arrived. This may be my first trip to Africa, but it certainly won’t be my last!

No comments: