Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring break Borderlinks trip part II

So I wanted to write another post about the spring break trip that highlighted the positive things we saw. Borderlinks was very good at providing a balanced perspective of border issues.

We spent the night at a migrant resource center in Agua Prieta called CAME. The center is funded by the Catholic church and church members volunteer to cook, serve meals, and taking care of the daily activities. The center offers migrants warm meals a safe place to stay for a few nights while they are making arrangements to travel home or attempt to cross the border again.
After our stay at CAME we headed to CRREDA, a drug rehabilitation center. The economy of Agua Prieta (AP) is centered around drug trafficking and human trafficking. The rehab center is a combination of voluntary entry and family petition. They practice the 12 steps and also have occupational therapy where they sweep streets, build new dormitories on the CREEDA campus or clean grocery stores. I wish I had some pictures of the center, it is all built by the residents using donated materials. When we arrived they were just finishing up a new building that had been started only 4 days earlier.
We then went to Cafe Justo, a cooperative that allows coffee farmers in Southern Mexico to set their own price for the raw coffee which is then roasted, packaged, and marketed from this tiny shop in AP. The coffee was really good (this coming from a girl who doesn't really like coffee)! I recommend checking out their website at: justcoffee.org

We also visited a man in Nogales, Sonora who had worked in one of the infamous "Maquilladoras" and had then decided to go into business for himself. This is his sewing station where he makes aprons, non-static smocks, and other uniform pieces for the Maquillas in Nogales. He also does painting, hydraulics, hardware sales, and many other things to stay afloat. It reminded me of when I was young and I asked my mom "how much do you think I would make if I was a poet, and actress, AND a synchronized swimmer?"

We also went to a micro-credit agency that is currently helping over 2,000 clients start small businesses. There are lots of people on the Mexican side working to make it possible for people to support their families without having to leave for the US. We also met with groups giving vocational training in carpentry, sewing, computer use, and English. Many of these people have lived in the US and are trying to spare others the prejudice and exploitation they experienced here.

One of the last things we did before heading back stateside was a home stay in a Nogales neighborhood. Our "host mom" Rosita made us amazing chimichangas, pancakes, and beans for breakfast. This is Nick (a 2L at Penn), me, Rosita, and Sean, our Borderlinks guide.

I am so glad I was able to go on this trip and talk to so many groups with so many different ideas and experiences. I am not sure what the solution is, but I do hope to share my experience with others who did not get the chance to experience the border first-hand. It would take a week to share all of our meetings, emotions, and discussions, but I hope these blog posts give you an idea of what went on. Anyone interested in learning more about our trip should feel free to contact me or check out the Borderlinks website and schedule a trip of your own! borderlinks.org




No comments: